Even though Adams sold its prescription service to Stop & Shop in 2009 and “pharmacy” has been removed from the sign, longtime customers still refer to it as Adams Pharmacy. Adams, located at 254 Commercial St., describes itself as the “oldest business in continuous operation at one location in Provincetown.” Once home to an old-fashioned soda fountain, Adams Pharmacy was established in 1869 by Dr. John M. Crocker. It was then taken over by its namesake, John D. Adams, in 1875. Adams is also home to plenty of Provincetown lore. In its heyday in the 1900s, it hosted the town’s first telephone switchboard. Today, customers can still find drugstore staples here, from magazines and newspapers to soda and snacks.