After spending much of his life at sea, Captain Elijah Cobb eventually retired and settled down in 1820 at this Brewster property located at 739 Lower Road. His great-granddaughter, Caro Dugan, a photographer, also lived here. So when the Elijah Cobb House went on the market last winter, the Brewster Historical Society viewed it as an opportunity to turn it into both a museum and their new headquarters. With the help of $350,000 in Community Preservation funds voted by the town in May, the society signed a purchase-and-sale agreement in July. The group now hopes to raise $1,000,000 over the next year to repair and restore the 1799 sea captain’s house, complete with widow’s walk. When the work is finished, this historic house, on the National Register of Historic Places, is expected to open to the public in the fall of 2015 and will feature updated exhibits. For more information on the project or to donate, go to www.brewsterhistoricalsociety.org.