New England Endurance Events presents:
The Gut Check Triathlon & Duathlon
COMPETE AGAINST 150 ACCOMPLISHED ATHLETES IN A TRUE TEST OF PHYSICAL CONDITIONING AND MENTAL TOUGHNESS. SATURDAY, OCTOBER 14, 2017
NAMED ONE OF THE WORLD’S TOP “BUCKET LIST” RACES.
There are more than enough “typical” triathlons and duathlons out there. How about a true test to end your season? A cool-water swim (for duathletes: a tough 2-mile trail run). 10 miles on your road bike with tight turns and a climb of 650 vertical feet. A 3-mile technical trail run along glacial ridges ascending another 400 feet, ending with a 12% climb. After only three years, this race has become so legendary that TBI just named it one of the world’s six “bucket list races” for 2017.
The Gut Check is a unique sprint triathlon AND challenging duathlon held in the glacier-scarred forest of DCR-Nickerson State Park. Besides being a test of your physical and mental fitness, the Gut Check is a fundraiser for the Dreamday Camp: a summer camp where seriously ill children and their families escape for fun and relaxation each year.
Leg #1: Triathletes. A beach start, running into the chilly waters of Cliff Pond. A .25-mile, rectangular course with lifeguard support.
Leg #1: Duathletes. A narrow, very technical 2-mile run around Little Cliff Pond ending with a beach run alongside Cliff Pond before the transition climb.
Transition climb: All athletes. a difficult, 300-foot stair climb from end of swim to transition area.
Leg #2: All athletes.This is a 3-loop bike course of 9.9 miles on paved roads with very challenging hills. Racers follow signs out of transition, make a left turn onto Nook Road. Continue to the entrance to Area 7. Turn into Area 7 for a loop that brings you back to Nook Rd. Return to Area 6 for your second and third loops.
Leg #3: All athletes. A 3-mile run into the seldom-visited backcountry of DCR-Nickerson State Park. Narrow trails and frequent rocks and roots underfoot require alertness and agility.
- Date: Saturday, October 14, 2017
- Location: DCR-Nickerson State Park, Brewster
- Start time: 9am
- Late registration/packet pick-up: 7-9am at race site morning of race or 4-6pm Friday evening at race site. All participants: BRING ID AND USAT CARD. Check this website beforehand to be sure there is no sell-out!
- Triathlon: $85
- Duathlon: $85
- Relay Teams: $120
- Additional charges: Non-USAT members will be required to purchase a one-day event insurance license from USA Triathlon. Cost: $15
- Registration: On-line registration will close on October 10 at 11:59pm.
- Rain date: There is no rain date. It’s supposed to be the toughest sprint tri in the East! Race director does reserve the right to substitute a trail run for the swim if water temperature is below 55 degrees.
- Relay Teams: Yes! For both the duathlon and the triathlon. Your choice: 2-person or 3-person.
- Field limit: 150 athletes
- USAT sanctioned: Results will count toward national and regional rankings. All USAT rules and regulations will apply. Racers are subject to time penalties or disqualification for infractions of USAT rules.