Shining a Light on Cape Icon

The first lighthouse at Nobska Point was built in 1829. Made of wood, it was mounted onto the roof of a typical Cape Cod-style house, where the civilian lightkeeper lived. It had problems with leakage, as was typical of lighthouses constructed of wood. The lantern reportedly created too much stress for the roof. In 1876, the lighthouse was replaced by the 40-foot-tall tower that still stands today. Constructed in Chelsea out of cast iron on the outside and lined with brick on the inside, it was created in four sections and transported to Nobska. The lighthouse and its accompanying lightkeeper’s quarters were originally painted in a dark, brick red color. A lightkeeper assistant’s house was built right next to the existing one in 1907. The house that stands today actually comprises both houses, which were eventually joined together. Today, the premises are maintained by Friends of Nobska Light, a nonprofit organization created in 2015. Having transferred stewardship from the Coast Guard, the Friends have plans to restore the premises and convert them into a maritime museum. —Marina Davalos

Comments are closed.